Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
YWCA South Hampton Roads has been on the front lines of the biggest issues of the day for over 100 years, with our focus on eliminating racism and empowering women. As the largest domestic violence service provider in South Hampton Roads, we offer diverse volunteer, intern, and outreach opportunities within the community promoting peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all.
The YWCA offers various volunteer opportunities.
All interns and volunteers must adhere to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Find more information here.
Volunteer Program Philosophy.
YWCA SHR acknowledges the critical role volunteers play in helping us achieve our mission to empower women, children, and families. We value the contributions of volunteers and seek to use their time, talent, and passion to enrich the lives of others. We aspire to provide volunteers with the resources needed to be successful and to offer meaningful experiences that will have a lasting impact on our clients, organization, and community.
- Be a nonprofit of choice for volunteers
- Educate volunteers on issues important to our clients, organization, and community to affect positive change
- Build a collaborative community focused on making a significant impact
- Retain volunteers by offering meaningful and rewarding opportunities
Non-Technical volunteers with YWCA of South Hampton Roads are not required to go through specialized training prior to service and will not have client interaction.
- Shelter Meal Program
- Maintenance and Grounds Beautification for Groups-for Individuals
- Maintenance and Grounds Beautification
- Special Events Volunteer
After an initial interview, volunteers will attend our 6-hour Onboarding Training as well as our 24.5-hour Advanced Training series prior to service. Trained Volunteers are subject to background checks and have direct client interaction.
- Administrative Advocate Volunteers
- Advocacy Volunteers
- Crisis Hotline Volunteers
- On-Call Crisis Volunteers
- Outreach Ambassadors
- Shelter Volunteers
- VOICES Survivor Advocacy Committee
Trained Internship Participants:
YWCA South Hampton Roads offers internships to undergraduate and graduate students. Interns are subject to background checks and have direct client interaction. If you are interested in pursuing practicum or internship opportunities, please apply at least two months in advance of the semester start date, as our programs are highly competitive and fill quickly.
- Administrative Advocate Interns
- Crisis Hotline Interns
- Shelter and Housing Interns
- Victim Advocate Interns
- Graduate Counseling Interns
- Human Resources Interns
For questions or if you wish to be added to the mailing list for special event volunteer information, please contact the Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 757-625-4248.