Congratulations to all of our 2017 Women of Distinction!!
Click here to check out this year's video and visit our Facebook page to see all of our pictures.
Distinction are women from all walks of life in our community whose
professional accomplishments and/or philanthropic efforts truly epitomize the
potential of every woman. Each year, the
YWCA South Hampton Roads recognizes and celebrates the achievements of 12
outstanding women during the annual Women of Distinction Awards Luncheon. In choosing the recipients for this
prestigious award, the selection committee takes into consideration the
nominees’ professional and civic achievements AND how the nominees exemplify
the values and mission of the YWCA. The honorees must exhibit a dedication to
our mission of eliminating racism and empowering women promoting peace, justice,
dignity, and freedom for all. For a list of past honorees, please click here.
This year, please join us to celebrate the following honorees:
- Arts: Deirdre Love, Executive
Director and Founder, Teens With A Purpose
- Business: Kim Curtis, President and
CEO, Tidewater Home Funding LLC
- Communications: Vivian Paige, Writer,
Lecturer, Owner and CPA
- Education: Monica Hunter Barnes, Retired
Program Manager for the Minority University and Education Program, NASA Langley
- Finance: Beth Patterson, President and
Founder, Waypoint Advisors
- Government: Noelle Gabriel, Vice Chair,
Norfolk School Board
- Law: Jill Harris, Deputy
Commonwealth’s Attorney, Office of Norfolk Commonwealth’s Attorney
- Medicine: Shelley Mishoe, Dean, College
of Health Sciences at Old Dominion University
- Military: Captain Barbara Geraghty, U.S. Navy, Ret.
- Non-Profit: Mike Harkins, Manager of
Registration Services, Sentara Leigh Hospital
- Science/Technology: Ruth Amundsen, Senior Thermal
Engineer, NASA Langley Research Center
- Volunteerism: Marianne Dickerson, Community
Thank you to all our generous sponsors!